HARKONNENDOG

Bookmark me or the Baron will pull my heart plug thingy.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Why I love George Bush, lol.

This below is from this post at Powerline, emphasis etc. mine.


President Bush spoke to the Republican Jewish Coalition in Washington yesterday on the occasion of the group's twentieth anniversary...

"Rabbi Stanton Zamek of the Temple Beth Shalom Synagogue in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, helped an African American couple displaced by the storm track down their daughter in Maryland. When Rabbi Zamek called the daughter, he told her, "We have your parents." She screamed out, "Thank you, Jesus!" (Laughter.) He didn't have the heart to tell her she was thanking the wrong rabbi. (Laughter and applause.)"

That cracks me up. It also says something about the kind of Christian Bush is. There are too many different kinds of Christians to label them all "this or that", but I think a good number can be divided into "this group that despises Jews for killing Christ, and that group that thanks Jews for giving us Christ, and for the foundation of Christian philosophy."

I'm squarely in that group, and I think most Christians nowadays are. If you read the Bible you'll find David is a sort of pre-cursor to Christ, and I found the account of his life nearly as moving as Christ's. (Solomon, on the other hand, I found to be the suck. I don't know why people dig him so much.) Most modern Christians read the Bible, in fact they STUDY the Bible, and I don't think that was always so. Certainly that was not true back in the day when nobody could read the Bible because it was in Latin. Reading the Bible doesn't really lend itself to anti-Semitism.

Come to think of it, there may be a pretty direct relationship between the percentage of Christians who read the Bible, and the lessening of anti-Semitic violence.

And as long as I'm thinking with my fingers, (by typing I mean) I have to say that 400 years ago Christianity was a lot more like Islam is in the Middle East today. A bunch of assholes were in charge of the religion AND the government, and when people got pissed off at the religion and/or the government they blamed the Jews.

Hmm... But Muslims today read the Koran, so the theory breaks down.
Or do they? How many Muslim in Saudi Arabia actually read the Koran? Let's assume all those who CAN read do read it.

Let's see. 79% can read, according to this site. Yeah, it doesn't really work. Well... anyway I thought it was a funny joke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home