HARKONNENDOG

Bookmark me or the Baron will pull my heart plug thingy.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Terri Schiavo- murdered due to disability?

This post by a student at Harvard (hat tip to Powerline) presages a next step in the Terri Schiavo battle. Read the whole thing, but here's an excerpt:

Besides being disabled, Schiavo and I have something important in common, that is, someone attempted to terminate my life by removing my endotracheal tube during resuscitation in my first hour of life. This was a quality-of-life decision: I was simply taking too long to breathe on my own, and the person who pulled the tube believed I would be severely disabled if I lived, since lack of oxygen causes cerebral palsy. (I was saved by my family doctor inserting another tube as quickly as possible.) The point of this is not that I ended up at Harvard and Schiavo did not, as some people would undoubtedly conclude. The point is that society already believes to some degree that it is acceptable to murder disabled people.

If this case is remembered, in a couple of years, as an example of people murdering someone for being disabled, then some real good can come of her death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home