HARKONNENDOG

Bookmark me or the Baron will pull my heart plug thingy.

Monday, May 23, 2005

The filibuster deal is GOOD for republicans.

According to MSN, a deal has been struck. Click here to read the article.

"Under the agreement, Democrats would pledge not to filibuster any of Bush’s future appeals court or Supreme Court nominees except in “extraordinary circumstances.”


And we can certainly trust that dems will not invoke "extraordinary circumstances" in less than extraordinary circumstances. Right? I mean democrats never exaggerate or use hyperbole, right? Here is Senator Byrd, via Michelle Malkin:

Sen. Byrd: We have kept the Republic. I'm very proud of these colleagues of mine on the Republican side and the Democratic side. We have lifted ourselves above politics and signed this document in the interest of...freedom of speech, etc. Thank God for this moment and for these colleagues of mine.

You kept the Republic!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Great. I thought McCain was busy ending free speech in America. Oh, wait... this is obviously and directly related. HiGLISH!!! (My made-up onomatopoeia word for barfing is "HiGlish" fyi)

Wait a second...

At first I thought "All this deal does is give the democrats more moral authority!" But maybe it really just gives them rope to hang themselves with. I suppose... maybe it will turn out to be just that. Given this deal, the only reason to filibuster judicial nominees is avowedly "extraordinary circumstances." I suppose this does move the burden of proof over to the democrats, and I suppose "extraordinary circumstances" is quite a high burden to meet. If the democrats cynically abuse the phrase it should be obvious and move moderates to the right...

Hmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home